From:
Tracy McAlpine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2012 19:42:48 -0500
I have had two experiences with very enlarged spleens. We had a brother
and sister duo who experienced large spleens at different ages. The
female had an enlarged spleen at a young age. We had hers removed, and
she had a new lease on life. Later in his age, her brother's spleen was
enlarged. As he was older and had been through two adrenal surgeries,
we opted to monitor his situation and gave him antibiotics at one
point due to an infection and hoped that there may be a decrease in
the spleen as well as maybe it was also infected. However, it only
continued to grow. It got to the point that we needed to try surgery
or have him euthanized. As he was alert and had a good appetite, we
opted for surgery. Very much unfortunately he passed away the evening
after surgery.

Those were my experiences concerning very enlarged spleens.

Tracy