From:
Mary Sennwald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 10:03:36 -0500
Hi Kristy, I can appreciate your frustration with the couch digging.  We
ave 10 ferrets, and well..  really nice new leather furniture.  They never
bothered it until one day ONE of them discovered he COULD get in.  As you
surmised, once one gets in, the rest soon follow!  After several fixes I
tried that DIDN'T work, I finally went down to the fabric store, and bought
a length of thick naugahyde (fake leather) and totally covered the bottom
of the couch, stapling it on every 1/2 inch.  BEFORE I did that though, I
turned the couch upside down, ans used a sailcloth needle (long curved
needle) and thick waxed buttontwist thread to sew up the spaces where the
back meets the seat, and the seat meets the sides.  Most of it was fairly
simple with the curved needle, although I did have to use a few pieces of
heavy canvas to cover spaces around the part where the seat met the sides.
Its all sewed up tighter than a drum now, and though it took me the better
part of a day, I havent had a problem.  I have watched them try once in a
while, but they cant get in.  I did this about 8 months ago, and its still
fine.

I did try and get the closest match possible for the bottom of the sofa
colourwise to the rest of it, and I doubled the edges in, and left about a
1/2 inch edge all the way around, so you cant see it if you are looking at
the couch.  I also pulled it prety tight.  The couch can still breathe,
because of the canvas used around the seat :)

Good luck!

Mary and the terrible 10