From:
Marc Lavergne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 May 1996 06:57:45 -0500
Dumptruck ferrets
My ferrets bring the soil they dig in their front paws while they go
backward.  However, Boum Boum is the only one that uses this technique to
move rags or clothing to his favorite snoozing spot.

Ferrets digging carpet
Three of my ferrets dig our carpet.  We only tried to train our older ferret
to stop & we gave up.  We are protecting the carpet near the doors with a
piece of corrugated plastic attached to the rug with velcro.  Marc carved
the plastic so it fits on the door frame and extends on both side of the
door.

Clumping litter
We ever had a problem with clumping litter until it started to stick to
Dynamo's bum when she was sick.  We then put a layer of pine pellets on top
of the clumping litter.  We had again a problem when we got Boum Boum who
goes snorkeling or dig in the litter when he is awake before I let him out
in the morning.  I was told, by an owner from Quebec, that when you mix
ordinary clay litter with the clumping one it hurt the ferret nose & he
stops snorkeling in the litter.  It did not work for Boumb Boum.  After
cleaning grains of litter stuck on his nostrils a few times.  I was worried
that the grains he swallowed while licking his nose would create a blockage.
We do not use clumping litter anymore.

Refrigerating ferret food
Re comment of D. Riccio to K. Meyer: I refrigerate food, but only the brand
Ferret Diet (distributed by Rolf C. Hagen).  The instruction on the package
says to discard uneaten portion of food before refilling food and to keep
the open bag in the fridge.  Since it contains a preservative (potassium
sorbate), I do not throw the leftovers away but keep the bag in the fridge
to add to its shelf life.