From:
Todd Leuthold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 14:59:39 -0400
Condolences to those with sick, lost or angeled Disco-Dancing Dookers...

There have been lots of messages back and forth lately, about deaf
ferrets.  Many of these posts (mainly discussing NOT breeding a deaf
ferret) also call these ferrets "defective".  Well, I think maybe these
people should stop and reconsider some of their thoughts.

First, whether or not a ferret is deaf, there is no guarantee at all that
any offspring bred from them will be deaf.  Everyone on my mother's side
of my family (to the best of my knowledge) is deaf.  Yet my brother and I
have always been able to hear just fine.  Virtually every friend my mother
has is deaf.  Yet every one of them that have children are blessed with
children THAT CAN HEAR.  Every one of them...without exception.  Now, I'm
sure that there are families where the parents *and* the children are
deaf.  However, I've never seen one.

Second, it doesn't matter if some parts of your pet don't work.  You
don't love their liver.  You don't love their femur.  You don't love
their veins.  You love their entire being, including their personality.
In fact, it's mostly the personality that's been found to be the object
of the strongest of all love.  Therefore, what does it matter if something
on your pet doesn't work?

Ziggy (who can be seen on my Web Site
[http://users.success.net/toddl/page2/]) is a "blaze" ferret.  He is deaf.
He is mostly blind.  His sniffer works very poorly.  Yet, he is the most
fun-loving ferret I have.  He finds the food right along with the rest of
them.  Of course, snacks almost have to be taped to his nose before he
knows they are there, but he is far and away the best "dancer" of the
bunch.  He also knows how to get a game of "wrestle-in-the-bag" going, he
knows where (most) of the furniture is, so he can race through the house
without a problem and he knows the location of every litter box in the
house (14 of them).  He is also the only one that will "do his business"
in the litter box in the cage before coming out to play!  He is quite good
at "prairie dogging" for snacks and has learned the distance between the
couch and the coffee table so he can jump across and steal the television
remote!

Now, tell me, where do the defects fit in?  If you roll him over and
tickle his belly, he will wrestle with your hand.  If you pick him up, he
will try to find out what kind of shampoo you've been using.  He's also
good with ear cleaning.  If you put him on a leash, he will walk along
with you (you have to guide him out of the way of things), sniffing (to
the best of his ability) as he goes.  He knows where everyone else's hidey
holes are, and he has some of his own that even *I* haven't found yet!

Face it.  Nobody is perfect...animal or human.  It takes all kinds to make
up an interesting world.  If everyone were perfect, it would get really
old, really fast.  It's the differences that keep life interesting.  Lets
stop complaining about the faults found everywhere and instead, try to
learn how to learn from them, or maybe even appreciate them.  You must
*might* find a much larger world that you've ever known before! :)

Todd and the (Perfect? *I'll* show you perfect! Poof! heheheh!) Fuzzbutt
Rodeo Clowns!

---
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://users.success.net/toddl/