From:
Lee McKee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 1996 20:33:33 +0400
The Massachusetts Ferret Friends (MaFF) needs your support as we continue
our efforts on behalf of ferrets in the Bay State.
                                                                       tt
As the Massachusetts Friends of the Domestic Ferret, the group led the
successful fight to legalize ownership of ferrets in this State.
Reorganized as a nonprofit organization, MaFF now turns to education of
owners and the public about ferrets, the support of ferret rescue and
shelters, and the institution of a quarantine period for ferrets involved in
nipping incidents.

Unfortunately, Massachusetts is behind the curve of other states like New
Hampshire, which have a quarantine policy for ferrets accused of biting.  In
spite of there being a recognized rabies vaccine for ferrets, and less risk
of rabies transmission from ferrets than from vaccinated dogs, even
vaccinated Massachusetts ferrets are subject to immediate kill-and-test if a
person reports having been bitten.

The fight to institute a quarantine period--and reprieve--will be a long
one.  As during the legalization battle, legislators must be contacted;
educational brochures researched, printed, and distributed; bridges to the
bureaucracy--and the media--built.  Our enemy in this fight, as the last
one, is ignorance.  Once again, your help, your support, and your calls to
Your legislators will make Massachusettes safer for ferrets and ferret
owners.

While quarantine will be this year's legislative focus, MaFF has many other
activities with which you could help.  Sadly, as ferrets become more
popular, there will be more careless and uncaring people who abuse and
abandon them, as well as good people who discover that they cannot care for
their companions as well as they should.  We need people who can run rescue
and retrieval missions in their area, foster sick and recovering ferrets,
and who can support shelter operations however they can.

We also provide a 24-hour telephone hotline for those with questions and
concerns about these special animals, in-store presentations on their care,
and other opportunities for ferret enthusiasts to meet each other and to
organize for the welfare of their pets.  Some of these activities cost
money, others cost time.  With your help, the load will be lighter, and more
can be done for ferrets and their owners in this state.

Membership in MaFF provides many benefits, including a newsletter,
merchandise discounts, and of course, the satisfaction of making a
difference in the lives of our little friends.

If you haven't already done so, please e-mail us with your snailing address
(street, town, and phone number), and MaFF will send you information on how
you can join with other Massachusetts Ferret Friends in making the Bay State
a great state for being a ferret!

        Thank you for being a friend,
                Sharon Burbine, President
                        Bill Williamson, Treasurer
                                Lee McKee, Clerk
                                        Jan Fleury, Fundraising Chair

P.S.  Please send your snailing address to [log in to unmask]
        Happy ferreting!