From:
trina fleissner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 2009 10:02:50 -0700
Hi All:

Time for the Giving Tree is fast approaching. I happen to think about
the economy this year and wanted to share some ideas on how you might
still gather and send items to fur kids and shelters needing our
support, even though $$ is tight.

I am a frequenter to places like the Dollar Store, VOA (volunteers of
America), and Goodwill. Shopping there makes me feel good as I know
the local Goodwill supports the Association for the Blind ( I have
twin brothers who are legally blind) and VOA funds help support our
veterans.( Got a nephew with two tours of Iraq under his belt and the
injuries unfortunately, to go with it. Go Army!)

Each of these businesses has supplied me with little fun and fuzzy
items for ferrets from the Maine Ferret Rescue across our nation to
Lacey's horrid flooding situation this past spring in Washington State;
as well as rescue situations in Pa., Ohio, Indiana, Virginia and Texas.
I could send more for less by shopping there. The Dollar store carries
neat little balls, whiffle and others, great small stuffed critters for
babies to carry to hidey holes, wash clothes you just add water to make
them swell for the older kids who need clean-ups, bungee cords for
cages, micro-fleece cloths - great for wipe-ups, sets of baby spoons
to feed the kids who need and want more attention, ice cube trays for
frozen soup, seal-able containers for soup and snacks and cute little
3 ft x 3 ft. fleece baby blankets. These are just a few things I could
think of. If you "think" ferret or "think" shelter you can send all
kinds of goodies.

I have found several neat items at the VOA and Goodwill for bedding
too. Fleece blankets small and large. Sometimes large pieces of
material. A neat version of a giant sleep sacks are the pillow shams. I
put a faux fleece that measures about the same size as the pillow sham
under the dresser with sham on top. My guys love to snuggle and lo and
behold -- I can find all six snuggled inside the sham, no stitching
needed. They make nice pieces to put in the bottom of the Ferret Nation
cages (or several others I suspect.) Place them slit side up and toss
a blankie over the top. I find something thicker if the sham is thin
and place it inside to give some padding.

I have great baby comforters and even crib end decorations or wall
hangings made of cloth that I have found there - they all make great
bedding for the kids!! My bears don't care -- they think, clean soft
and snugly.

It is sort of like going to garage sales. During rescue pleas I put on
my gear and head out -- Stand back -- I am on a mission to help our
babies!!.

There are all kinds of great ferrety oriented seamstresses out there
with big talents big hearts, and loads of generosity. If however, your
wallet is small and your heart big, perhaps these can be alternatives
for you to still make your hearts and some fuzzies happy.

I have never known a shelter Mom or Dad not be thrilled that someone
thought of their needs and their babies.

So think about thinking outside the box and start collecting a few
things each trip and before you know it you can fill up a big box and
send off all kinds of goodies.

Anyone else have ideas to share for ferret owners and Giving Tree
shoppers??

Happy "giving" season to all. CR

Feed rescued animals in two clicks
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3