From:
"Ferrets First Shelter, TX" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 1996 21:53:17 -0500
Joy....Ferrets may be adopted for as little as nothing from my shelter, if
you prove to me you can provide a good, safe, loving home, and can cover the
medical expenses for one that has a particular ailment or problem, is very
old, or for some reason is "unadoptable".  Medical expenses down the road
for these could be into the $1000's, or not, we don't know.

Prices go all the way up to $100 for a young ferret here, at pet stores they
may go for up to $160.

Cages here start at $30 (24"X 36" X 24"), but I know of others that retail
for over $200.  Kits will need more trips to the vet at first to get all
their shots at the proper times and some vets give you a break on these so I
can't estimate that price.  The cost of annual shots and physicals every six
months depend on rates in your area.  I pay roughly $125 per year per ferret
if no other medical work is required.

Ferrets are good at eating things they shouldn't and I often pay for X-rays
to be sure they haven't swallowed something, if one is ill.  These trips
cost about $60.  If your ferret develops conditions requiring surgery or
other medical management the cost may run into the $1000's depending on the
ferrets needs.  (No, I am not exaggerating, and in my opinion these
surgeries are "common" problems with ferrets...though some would argue this
point.  After all, it depends on the ferret.  I just know my outstanding vet
bill now is $500, half of that is for a single adrenal surgery.)

On food, I couldn't tell you on an individual basis.  I am feeding nineteen
here now and my food bill is about $60 per month.  (Whatever you do, don't
feed cheap foods, buy the best and you will save in the long run.) I buy
lots of litter, too.

Toys are cheap because they prefer homemade to store-bought any day, and
they are often much safer.

Hope this gives you some idea of what to prepare for.  In short, ferrets can
be VERY expensive, but *I* think they are worth it.  (I have 11 of my own.)
Trish----Director, Ferrets First Rescue and Shelter