From:
Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 1999 01:03:14 EDT
This post is in response to a question that was asked and Mr. Killian
thought he should answer.  Well, in his own way.  I DO believe everyone
is entitled to their opnion, but the poster asked a simple question and
got an opnion and a slam on shelter operators, myself expessally, since I
was the one asking for some Timmy's Tonic for the shelter.

Here was the Q & A:
>>From:    Grace <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: Tommy's Tonic?
>>Ok what is it and what is it for?
>
>Ironically, its quack medicine.  Something we would never give to a ferret.
>Unfortunately, running a shelter doesn't qualify one to know the difference
>between real medicine and ineffective "miracle cure alls".

Let me start by saying thanks to the poster after this one to answer the
Q without any personal opnion, just an plain old answer to a plain ole
question.

I do run a shelter, I don't claim to be an expert on ferrets, medicine, or
anything for that matter.  I know what I know and thats that.  I DO know
about medicine, probably more that some, less than others.  I'm a vet tech,
no biggie, but I know meds, what they are for, when to use and even have a
ferret dosage booklet.  I have a completey stocked ferret medicine chest, a
crash cart, seditives, pain meds, IV fluids, etc., and OH NO, "quack meds",
like Ester C, Pau D arco, Slippery Elm Bark, Traumeel cream, and more.
And I really know the difference between conventional meds and not so
conventional meds.

I use both accordingly.

I know there are no miracle cure alls, in either case of medicines.  I do
what I have to do to keep the animals under my care happy, and as healthy
as I possibly can, no matter what it takes.  I requested Timmys Tonic
because I have some ferrets that have cancer, they have had sx in some
cases, and are on "regular meds", but why not try someting that may help
the rest of their lives be just a little bit better?  That makes me less
knowledgable about medicines, don't think so.

Mr. Killian, I feel you made a judgement about shelter operators that was
unfair and very nasty, plus put a product down that someone has had success
with and had put out their for other people to try if they want to.  You
slammed Gary in a way also.

But most of all, you in no way answered this womans question.  You could
have told her about the web page, given your opnion and left out the part
about the qualifications of shelter operators.  A much nicer and better
way to go.  Maybe you don't have to answer all the posts on the FML, maybe
some should be done personally.  Thats just my opnion about it.

I was going to do this privatly but maybe others will benefit from it when
they want to reply to anothers post in a derogatory way.

I don't post here often, lack of time, running a shelter, and I hate to say
this but posts like yours, belittling others, keep me away.  Plus who wants
to hear what I've got to say anyway.

Sorry this is so long, I just felt sorry for the person asking the Q, Gary,
and the other shelter operators who work very hard to do the right thing
for their ferrets, and I felt personally sorry I posted asking for help.

CJ
24 Carat Ferret Rescue And Shelter

P.S.
Thanks to all who donated some Timmys Tonic, I have a few bottles comming
and I will try it one the ferrets that have nothing left to lose, but their
precious little lives.