From:
Katherine Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 12 Apr 1994 14:03:29 -0400
My thanks to those who've e-mailed me so far with info on ferret legality
throughout the U.S.  To reiterate -- and as a reminder -- I'm trying to
compile a comprehensive list of FFZs (Ferret Free Zones) as well as places
that require licensing for ferret ownership.  I've got the major places --
I am looking for those that aren't as well known.  The object is to have a
more complete list available for those who ask.

Please e-mail me at [log in to unmask] or on CompuServe at 71257,3153
to add to the list.

Here's what I've got so far:

---------------------
Ferrets are currently known to be banned or illegal in:
* California
* Massachusetts
* Michigan
* Hawaii
* New York City, NY -- despite
* Washington, DC
* St. Paul, Minn.
* Salt Lake City, Utah
* Fort Bragg, NC

On the not-sure-if-this-is-correct-could-someone-confirm list:
* various cities in Texas -- which ones?
* an unnamed county in Ohio -- anybody know?
* Baltimore, Md.?
* other military bases?

Places where legal action or disinformation campaigns concerning ferrets is
taking place:
* New Hampshire
* Cobb County, Georgia
* Kansas

Places where legal action recently took place:
* Pennsylvania

Places where permits or licenses are required in order to own ferrets:
* New York State
* New Jersey
* Rhode Island

Please add to this list!  Rather than post to the FML, please e-mail me,
and I'll compile and post the summary.  I can be reached at
[log in to unmask] or on CompuServe at 71257,3153

Looking forward to hearing from you!!

Katie Fritz
CompuServe Small Mammals Section (S11) Co-Leader, Pets/Animals Forum
Internet: [log in to unmask]   CompuServe: 71257,3153