From:
Michele Fitzgerald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 20:31:41 -0400
Hi all,
just wanted to commend Suki on some really good, informative posts today...
great advice on anal prolapse and vet visits and such.  Glad to hear things
are going beter with your little one...

Lara, I sympathize with your frustration at the pet stores' inability to
see that posting signs would help, not hurt, his business.  Try to go in
with educational flyers, and tell him that you would like to post a sign
for people seeking advice for their new ferret purchased there...that way,
he will look at it as a benefit for his store instead of competition.  You
could even make up a separate sign that excludes the fact that you have
ferrets for adoption, or just give him educational material to give out
when selling their ferrets that has your phone number on it.  Word will
still get out about your shelter, and people may call you for advice and be
interested in adopting in the future.  This worked well for me when I had
my rescue in NJ, I actually had a waiting list of people that wanted to
adopt!  (Of course, this was almost 10 years ago when there weren't as many
ferrets out there), but it may help.  Also post your signs at ALL local
vets, not just exotic practices, and speak to the managers there and leave
your card with them.  If you promote education instead of just adoption
services, you tend to get more people "aware" of you in the long run.  Hope
this helps...

Michele & the 8-iz-enuff crew