From:
Nancy Hartman CIS graduate student <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Apr 1992 00:20:48 -0500
 Subject:  Ferret List Issue 242

Wednesday's mom:  Try using bitter apple.  Wet your finger, then when she
bites you stick that finger into her mouth.  Or, you could spray it it,
but be very careful not to get any in her eyes or nose.

You could also try lightly tugging her wiskers.  Not too hard, though.  They
are very sensative.

Another method is to grab her firmly by the scruff of the neck until she
releases.  Then give her a little shake while reprimanding her.  Again,
not to hard.  You don't want to hurt her spine.

Sneaker's mom, Amy:  You probably want the book "Biology and Diseases of
the Ferret" by James G. Fox.  Many of the ferret mail order places carry
it.  Or, you could order it directly from the publisher, Williams & Wilkins.
Call 800 information for their number (they are in Baltimore, MD).  The
book runs around $55.  It has lots of disgusting pictures of dissected
ferret parts, but it is very informative.

Chere:  Is it a whole male?  They will leak urine all over the place
this time of year.  Maybe a kidney infection (try cranberry juice).

Jenny:  Stop beating yourself up.  You did something that you thought was
for the good of the ferret and her kits.  Even though it may not have
been the right thing, your intentions were good!  I'm glad you swallowed
your pride and told us about it.  I just called my Vice President, who
is just starting breeding, and gives her own distemper shots, to let
her know of the potential dangers.  And I'll try to spread the word to all
the other people I know who are in a similar situation.

And just because you made a mistake, don't give up or think you are a bad
vet-in-training.  Everyone makes mistakes.  And each mistake makes you
a better person.

Best of luck with the kits, and let us know how it turns out!

- Nancy

Nancy Hartman                     CIS graduate student
[log in to unmask]                  U. of Delaware
        President and founder, Delaware Valley Ferret Club
                      Owner of Percy & Bree