From:
ferret lover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 14:53:16 -0800
Need to clarify my opinion about the flame situation which seems to rum
rampant here.  I see no point to posting the flames on the FML.  Some are
pretty nasty and not fit for print!  And it's NOT what this list is for.
I also see no reason to "torch" the flamer as I believe that many of the
flames are sent as an immediate response-without the flamer/s thinking
about what they are actually saying.  Regardless, it just seems to me that
there are entirely too many people out there who have been flamed so bad in
the past that they will not post now for fear of the flames-or they have
left the list entirely.  And that just shouldn't be!  This list is made up
of a wonderfully diverse group of individuals and because we are human,
there are bound to be disagreements-sometimes heated disagreements!  As
long as something constructive comes out of these flare-ups, I don't see a
problem!  We learn to look at things from a different angle.  But when the
flames turn to attacks on one's parentage, religious beliefs, child rearing
abilities, or some other subject which has nothing to do with the original
topic, then it's gone too far.  No one enjoys daily hate messages.  I do
agree, however, that something needs to be done about the Chronic Flamers.
I propose a warning system of some kind.  If someone gets a really nasty
private flame that has little to do with the original topic of debate, I
think it should be sent to BIG.  After a predetermined number of
complaints, the flamer could be issued a warning.  If the private flames
continue, then perhaps a week suspension from the FML is in order.  If the
person can't read the FML, they have nothing to flame about.  Maybe a week
break will make them stop and think how important this list really is!
It is a valuable tool and entirely too much time and energy is wasted on
unimportant issues!  I mean-who cares if my Mother wears army boots!!  I
have done a little research and it appears to me the same name/names
continually come up.  To those I have talked to lately, I urge you know
to tell BIG what you have told me!  Perhaps a "Timeout" is in order!
Something to think about!!  I know something like this would take more of
BIG's time and I believe he precious little of it already!  Perhaps someone
else would like to volunteer for the job...