Date:
Thu, 27 May 1999 22:47:35 EDT
I don't understand why Zen wants us to read the articles in Animal People
to see the current statistics on animal shelters.  The editorials were 3
and 6 years old and worthless to use as a current statistic on shelters.
The example of the editorial only included one location.  If you read the
editorials, you will find other areas with problems.  But it really doesn't
matter as these articles are years old.

There was a section on poor people.  These, according to the magazine
editorial, are people who don't have a car.  The article said that poor
people were A significant reason why shelters had sick animals brought in.
Poor people couldn't get to a vet, as there typically are none in poor
neighborhoods.  And you can't get on train or bus with a sick animal in
the snow, rain, frost, or extreme heat.  Ferrets are animals.  Thus, poor
people with ferrets will be unable frequently to get their ferts proper
medical attention, and end up dropping their sick animals at a shelter
according to this editorial Zen wanted us to read.

The articles also mentioned the abuse and neglect of animals that Zen
doesn't really believe exists to any degree.  Yet he asks us to read these
editorials, and perhaps purchase this magazine......He believes that this
is an accurate reporting in these editorials.  The editorials state that
animals are abused that come to shelters [although does not say what
percentage] yet Zen finds it strange that ferts are abused......

Lastly, and of most importance, was the discussion of organizations like
Anti cruelty society, and humane societys:The really large organizations
that get big bucks from donations.  It does not go to any shelters.  Alicia
wrote this to me.  I believed her.  But now I read that cat and dog
shelters aren't getting any funding from these huge societies either.
What does this mean for ferret shelters??

As cat and dog shelters slow down their intake--which is not happening
here--Zen believes that they will take in ferrets, since it is only a
matter of time before fert shelters are at capacity with increase in
popularity.  But since donations for cat and dog shelters only come from
cat and dog enthusiasts--we have no reason whatsoever to think that:

1. A dog or cat shelter will buy cages just for ferts, and cater to their
needs and possible illnesses.  You don't see sick dogs at the shelters
around here that I have visited.  No reason for them to take in or care for
sick fert if they don't care for sick dog.

2. People I personally know do not want to donate to fert shelter I believe
in, despite having cats or dogs, and giving to those shelters.  We have no
reason to believe financial donors would give money to care for ferts at
cat and dog shelter.

3. What cat or dog lover is going to want to syringe feed a sick ferret,
or approve of the musky odor that so many people dislike?  Shelters are
usually run by volunteers that are working for shelter to be with animals
they particularly care for.

4. The more I read, and learn--the more concerned I become about the fate
of our wee ones.