From:
Melissa Litwicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 1996 10:46:22 -0400
Andrea wrote about Oliver becoming depressed when she introduced a new
ferret -

Noodle reacted the same way to Easel's introduction, and it's taken him
quite a long time to get back to snuff (he isnt, yet).  He's loving and
playful and active, but just not the same as before we introduced another
weasel.  Easel was out of the house for a few days recently, and Noodle
sprang right back to normal; when she came back, it was like we had to
introduce them all over again - Noodle was very reluctant to accept her.
However, he happily curls up with her and even cleans her ears; he's just a
touch depressed.  Friday, on the other hand, is benefitting from having a
playmate that doesnt wallop the stuffing out of her every ten minutes.

Any ideas?  Any in-depth understandings of ferret psychology?  Easel is
*clearly* smarter than Noodle (weird how you can see comprehension on their
faces) and this means she can escape his attacks.  Friday doesnt care one
way or the other - she pays as much attention to Noodle as always, so she's
not abandoned him for Easel.  When we play with them, we play with all of
them equally.  Any good suggestions on how to boost Noodle's mood?  I give
him tons of extra cuddles, but they dont seem to help.

Melissa

      Melissa Litwicki                              "Is it ... atomic?"
      [log in to unmask]                             "Yes! VERY atomic!"