From:
Matthew G Hartl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 1994 15:43:42 -0500
> Subject: Inside the Pet Shop
> Date:   Sat, 12 Feb 1994 11:56:01 -0500
>
> This is my first post. I would like torespond to Marc Jensens note
> with some information.

> There are only four ferret farms in this country. They cover specific
> territories that they have worked out. They sell most of their ferret
> through licensed brokers. There are many brokers listed in the PSM
> (Pet Supply Magazine) 1993 issue. The only ferret farms are:
> Holmes Chinchilla Ranch- located in Minn. Sell very few ferrets

I am taking care of a ferret that a local pet store gave me. He is about
4 months old, neutered, descented and came from Minn. He is the single most
violent animal I have ever had too deal with. My girl friend and I went into
the store and asked if we could hold the ferret they had, they replied that it
was a bit nippy. We told them that we have seven so she told us to go ahead.
Tarra (my girl friend) Took the sleeping ferret from the cage and got bit. It
wasn't bad, just two little pin pricks. The lady at the counter went and got
the owner and told him what had gone on. He came out expecting us to sue.
In deed we had no intentions of that. He asked us to take the ferret to
try to tame it down. Wile I was removing the ferret from the cage the
owner got in the way and the ferret bit him, this time to the bone, wile
trying to remove the little ones jaws Tarra got nailed. If you ask me
this one
was abused, you can't touch him, hold him, or pick him up. Granted I have no
proof but that little animal is scared.

> Marshall Farms- sell neutered and descented ferrets

Two of my ferrets came from Marshall Farms and I have had good luck with
them.
[some farm names deleted]
> A few individuals have attempted to breed ferrets and sell them, claiming
> them to be neutered and descented. They were not!Our store doesn't buy
> ferrets from individuals. We found out from our friends in Ferret Rescue
> that the "breeders" ferrets were ending up in the rescue program because of
> health, behavior, and scent problems. I watch the papers all the time.
> I haven't seen kits available for about a year. I think that
> assemblyman Jan Goldsmith is opposed. (I think that's how I'm reading
> the Bulletin) I with that PIJAC would get involved with this
> issue.They have more info on ferret within the Pet Industry than any
> group.

I have five ferrets from "breeders",two cinnamon and three whites all are
and always have been in perfect health, never had behavior problems or
sent problems. It a lot of times seems that I should have more problems.
I guess I want to praise all breeders that do it with good intentions.
I've seen a lot of farm ferrets that have been sold to uneducated buyers
and end up being treated like mice or other caged pets. The "breeders" I have
 come
into contact with have been vary good about not pushing a sale and
telling the buyers what they are getting into. I DO NOT think getting
more organizations (PIJAC) involved is the answer. We don't need another
group telling us what we can and can't do. I am sorry it got so long