Date:
Fri, 9 May 1997 13:05:36 PDT
Ferret Greetings,

I have been following the plight of Kodo and it made me wonder what the
policy in Illinois is so I talked to the director of the local ferret club
to find out.  And I *think* I understand some of what is happening.

As to the actions of the authorities involved, IMO, they may be doing what
they believe is right.  As for judges, it is the luck of the draw as to
which judge is involved.  Everyone involved reads and interprets the laws
differently.  But what has not been mentioned is how Michigan classifies
the ferret as a pet.  Dogs and cats are considered domestic pets.  In some
states, those that isolate the biting animal, classify the ferret as
domestic and therefore quarantine them for rabies observation.  Other
states, I think Ill. included, classify the ferret as exotic thus the
reasoning behind death to test for rabies.  So in efforts to help future
ferret owners avoid having their beloved pet put down for nipping, the
classification of ferrets as pets needs to be looked into.  Is the ferret
considered exotic or domestic in MI?

Another thing everyone seems to focus on is that Kodo did not bite.  Granted
he didn't, but his tooth *did* break skin and cause bleeding when the man
brushed against it.  That in itself gave Mrs. Burns reason to confiscate
Kodo.

I have seen a lot about not letting anyone pet your ferret.  But this can
backfire when dealing with educating the public about these lovable animals.
When I, and the club director, have a ferret with us and someone wants to
know about it and possibly pet the fuzzy we simple cradle the ferret on one
arm with the head tucked in close to our bodies.  With the fuzzy's head held
in hand the person is presented with the midsection to pet the reby keeping
the head and teeth out of reach.  I have had great success with this as I
sometimes bring Kalie with me to pick up my son at preschool and all the
children love to pet her.  So, I hold her and one at a timethey pet her back
while I have control of her head.  Works out well.  Also, I only allow this
when she is calm and willing to be held still.

The above is in no means meant to be anti-MI efforts to save Kodo.  They are
only observations from reading all the posts.  I really and truly am sorry
to hear about Kodo's plight and he is in my family's prayers.  My son adds
all ferrets into his prayers before bed.  He really loves the fuz= zies and
even prays for those who are waiting for us to rejoin them.

Sorry for the length and again I hope for the best for Kodo and his daddy.

Ferret hugs,
Donelle
Sebastian <Look after all the ferrets in heaven and all ferrets in need
and their owners>
Kalie <Mommy, why won't you let me give kissies to Sebastian's friends?>