From:
Tim Kwasny <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Sep 1997 12:10:42 -0500
Amy,

I've taken my ferret Puck camping before, and I've also left him home for
entire weekends alone while I went camping.  Here are some things to
consider:

There is a narrow temperature range that your ferrets will tolerate.  We
never take Puck with us unless the temperature is going to stay between 60
to 80 degrees.  He is an air-conditioned ferret, and higher temperatures
make him wilt.  Colder temperatures make him shiver all of the time.  Even
with 60 degree night time temps.  Bring a fuzzy blanket for them.

We always bring a carrying cage for Puck to sleep in.  He scratches at it
and wakes us up if he needs to take a walk outside the tent.  We DO NOT give
him unsupervised run of the tent.  We are not sure how ferret proof the
zippered opening are, and we would just die if the shimmied out of the tent
and got lost while we slept.

If we leave him home, we find that he does well.  He sleeps or entertains
himself without us around.  Puck is a free range house ferret, and we have
never had any problems with him being left alone.  We don't have someone
check on him, because we figure that just ups the chances of him getting out
of the house if that someone is not used to sneaky ferret behavior.

I hope this helps.  Happy camping!

Theresa Kwasny