From:
Erin Saunders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 14:16:14 -0800
Hello,

I have never taken the time to post before, but I have been receiving the
list for a few years now.  My name is Erin and I am owned by one small,
adorable ferret named Burner.  I am responding to Michelle's post on dumping
pellet litter in the backyard.  I dumped Burner's litter in the backyard of
my mother's house when I visited a few summers ago.  She had some problems
with mice in the backyard and the scent from my ferret's litter scared them
off.  I use Harmony cat litter which is made from plant compost and it
didn't make a mess of the yard at all.  It breaks up easily and didn't cause
any problems for the plants.  It looks a little odd to have pellets in the
yard, but water will dissolve it easily.  There are several pet dogs and
cats and other animals near my mother's house, too such as raccoons,
possums, coyotes, etc.  None of them snooped around the yard because of
Burner's litter, though.  I think it is a good idea for you to dump the
litter in the backyard rather than just throwing it away.  At least the mice
won't go near it.  :-)

Burner, Erin, and Steve