From:
Joanne D'Amico <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Sep 2005 14:40:55 -0400
I agree with Debi Christi - several of my ferrets have had mild-serious
reactions to the distemper vaccine (Fervac-D).  My vet participated in
the new erial vaccine studies, and in over 600 vaccinations, only two
ferrets had reactions.  One belonged to my best buddy, and he had a
serious reaction, we almost lost him.  The other was milder.  Both
ferrets had reacted previously to the Fervac-D.  However, several ferrets
who had reacted to the Fervac-D previously, had no reactions, including
two of mine.  (They were not pre-medicated for the study, but emergency
supplies were kept ready, and we waited over an hour before leaving).

The Benadryl doses mentioned interested me.  My vet has us give 1 mL
Childrens Benadryl 1/2 - 1 hour beforehand for any ferret up to 2.5 lbs,
and 1.2 mL for ferrets over 2.5 lbs.  She says even more could be given
(within reason - around 20%) w/o danger, just that the fuzzies will be
real sleepy .... needless to say, I always pre-medicate, and have not had
any problems since.  Definitely pre-medicate for both shots - distemper
or rabies.  I get their shots at separate visits, usually 6 months apart,
which also assures that they all see a vet at least twice a year.

I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out
there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't, and die to find out
there is ....