From:
Phil Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 1993 16:29:31 -0400
Hello,

I thought I should drop a letter to introduce myself to the group.  Granted
I'm not a ferret owner yet - but I will be!!!!  I've kept all manner of
animals over the years, I'm really looking forward to my first ferret.
After reading a number of back issues, I've got a few burning questions, so
here we go......

1.  Most of you (if not all) seem to be either based in America or Canada,
are there any owners from the UK out there - I'd love to here from you.
Better still if you're in Scotland like myself.

2.  It seems that a large number of people have other pets as well as there
ferrets - cats, bunnies etc.  What about dogs - we (my wife Susan and
myself) are very much doggy people and will be getting adding dogs to the
pet list.  How well do ferrets get on with dogs - and vice a versa.

3.  What is the truth with de-scenting, some people suggest that you can
get away without it, while others seem it necessary - especially with a
male.  No doubt I'll get a mixed bag of answers here.

4.  What books would you recommend - if any???

5.  FFZ?????  Is this an acronym for Fuzzy or something similar???

6.  I've seen mention of 'ferritone' and 'linatone' I take it that these
are US brand names???  What are they????  What should I look for here in
the UK, brand names aside.  I take it from posts, its rather 'popular' in
ferret land.

7.  Flame me on this one - I admit I could be talking through a hole in my
head, but, How closely related are Polecats - are they easily
distinguished?  As for manner and temprament, how do they compare to
ferrets as pets.  I know of one local(ish) breeder who sells both.  I've
yet to see him myself yet - but my folks have chatted with him.

8.  Finally - before I bore everyone, any last minute advice or comments
about getting a first ferret????  Ok, I know the basic stuff about ferret
proofing a home (ours has been dwarf hamster proofed :-), etc.  Yet - any
comments will be gratefully received.

Cheers
Phil

|       I am Homer of the Borg....Prepare to be assim....Oooooh Doooonuts      |