From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 1998 03:02:13 -0600
Eric and Mary: The post keeps bouncing, but I am positive its on my side.
I'll send it from school and the problem should resolve.

That Cherful Person: Would you email me?  Everything I send you is bouncing
as well, but I want to make sure its not the address.

To my brother in Arizona: I have access to dictionaries of most of the
recorded Native American languages, but you didn't specify 1) your return
address so I can reply, and 2) exactly which tribal language you are
interested in.  I have to say up front, the only languages with a word for
ferret were those that lived in the areas where black-footed ferrets were
common.  Yes, the bbf was a sacred ceremonial animal, and many sacred
bundles have been found (or stolen) containing them.  For most of the other
languages, the closest you can come to is weasel.  Personally, I think of
ferrets more as the Coyote, full of tricks; the Chinook is 'Italapas," the
Cupeno is "Isil" and Lakotan is "Mica." I have a friend in Washington with a
ferret named "Yai," (ya-ee), which was a long thing dark being that turned
to foam if you tried to catch them.  Bear in Cree is "Maskwa," Lakota is
"Mato" or "Hu Nonp," Osage is "Wacabe." The only raccoon trickster I
personally know about is from the Northeast coast (and I can't remember the
tribe)--"Azeban," who would decieve animals and outwit people for food.
Mink in Salish is "Kaik," and on the Northwest coast is "Ikosait." There are
so many collections of languages, it would be easier if you just
specifically asked me what you wanted.

Bob C and 20 Mo-kaiks