From:
Rick Lemker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 1995 16:39:05 -0400
Um.  Let's see ...  how to broach this subject without tweaking someone's
nose ... Impossible to do.  So then, bravely onward.

Thanks to all who responded to my nagging posts re:ECE and intentional
exposure.

Was anyone else disappointed when intentional exposure wasn't covered more
thoroughly in the special ECE issue?  I still couldn't decide whether to
expose my guys or not, so I privately bugged some of the FML regulars for
their opinions.  Their patience is appreciated.  The vote was almost
unanimously in favor of isolationism.  Even those who considered exposure
did so reluctantly, and only for the most socially active young ferrets.
They ALL told me that someone in my position -- FFZ bound, no frolics, no
shows, no fun -- would have to be an idiot to even think about it.

I was astonished that the voting was so one-sided.  Of course, it wasn't a
random sampling of owners/posters, so the lopsided result may have partly
been a function of my choice of pollees.  It may also be because this
disease is symptomatically worse than I'd imagined, or simply because
isolation is a wiser course of action.  Still, I'd expected an evenly split
vote.  It certainly isn't as clearcut an issue for me as it seems to be for
all of them ...  but, hey, that's why I asked them.  I've never seen ECE,
and ignorance breeds bad decisions.  Nonetheless, it was quite a collective
and like-minded response.  Have all you pollees been talking to each other?

As promised, I've reconsidered.  Okay, the boys lay low and await the
vaccine.  Also as promised, you won't hear any squawking from me if this
strategy backfires.  I hope we're all doing the right thing.

BTW -- is *everyone* who owns a ferret and a computer named Bill, Pam, or
Linda?

Swampp