From:
Nathania <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 18:57:09 +0200
Hi all

i hope someone can help :)  My two ferrets live with me in a VERY ferret
proofed studio, and i leave them out even when i'm not at home.  So far
so good, they havent gotten into any spaces, as there aren't any!  no
couches, no nothing...so its all good.  They have a litterbox in their
cage, one in the bathroom, and one under my desk. (they chose that one).
Lately, they've begun switching litter spots.  Last week i came into a
really stinky apartment, to reveal a mountain of doo-doo that was
accumulating under my bed- i hadnt noticed that there was less poo in the
litter boxes, silly me.  So i bought a huge plastic sheet that i put
under the bed so that if they go there again, they wont ruin the wood on
the floor (im renting the apartment, so i can't afford to let them poo
everywhere).  They then stopped going under the bed...i guess they didnt
like the feel of the plastic on their toes.  Today, i found another nice
mound of poop under my closet.  They keep switching spots.  Their
litterboxes are cleaned twice daily, and i always leave a little bit of
something in there just to make sure they know its a litter box.  I can
go out and buy more plastic to put under the cupboard too, but seriously,
when will this end!

My first ferret was ok when she was alone, only going in the box.  But
now with the new guy that i got about a month ago, they're both going
everywhere.  i've been through the whole litter training thing twice or
three times even, and i tried putting bedding where they go potty to turn
it into a sleep spot, but they just go potty right on the bedding!

Im running out of ideas, and my patience is wearing thin...i have to hold
back from yelling at them when i get home every day.  I dont want to lock
them up in the cage, because other than that they're happy to run around
and dont cause damage to my furniture at all.

If anyone has any suggestions to help make them go in their box, or to
steer them away gently from the closet and bed, please let me know!

Thanks a bunch
Nathania, Calypso and Butch ("What!? poo!? thats not me! i dont know
anything about that...must be that fly that came in a few hours ago.")