From:
David Caudill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 1996 06:03:20 -0700
De-lurk.  Hi!  I am de-lurking in order to forward the following message
from alt.pets.ferrets.  I have never had a reaction in my ferts and am not
sure what advice to give.  Would those with more experience please contact
this lady and help her through this?

>Subject:      Ferret in coma!
>Date:         Tue, 23 Apr 1996 11:58:15 -0500
>From:         "Viki S. Rollins" <[log in to unmask]>
>Newsgroups:   alt.pets.ferrets
>
>After several months of lurking on this site, I find that I am in desperate
>need of advice.  I took my ferret, Sebastian, in for a checkup this morning
>after a particularly nasty coughing incident (it was a rather stubborn
>hairball, it turns out, so that's not the problem).
>
>The vet (recommended highly by a local ferret shelter) checked Sebastian
>thoroughly, and everything was normal.  I had received Sebastian from a
>friend who rescued him from solitary confinement at a pet store.  We figured
>his age to be roughly about three at the time, and I've had him for about
>two years.
>
>I decided that we should go ahead and discuss vaccinations, since he hadn't
>had any since I had custody.  The doctor suggested we go ahead and take care
>of it.  I voiced my concern about any reactions, since I read about another
>ferret on the FML who had a violent reaction and died after receiving both
>shots.  Mind you, I've owned four ferrets before, all of which went in for
>regular shots, and never had a problem before.  I don't know why the sudden
>paranoia hit me, but it turned out to be more prophetic than I realized.
>
>The vet assured me that Sebastian was quite healthy and we proceeded with
>the shots.  After the second shot (distemper, I think), Sebastian literally
>collapsed on the table.  The vet at first thought he had just fainted from
>stress.  But when he took him back to put him on oxygen, Sebastian's heart
>stopped.
>
>They have my beloved pet on oxygen, a heating pad, and an iv to bring his
>blood pressure down; but he's still comatose.  Please, if anyone's ever
>dealt with this before, I beg advice now.  I realize that I may have to face
>the inevitable someday, but not this way...not today.  He's all I've got
>right now, and I can't bear the loss of my best friend when everything else
>in my life seems to be tumbling down around me.  Feel free to e-mail me
>privately.  I can't concentrate on work right now anyway.
>
>Viki

*    David Caudill ----  [log in to unmask]                  *
*    Ste 778  3929 Overland                            *
*    Boise, Idaho  83705                               *
*    F.A.N.G. - Ferret Association of Neverending Glee *
*    Vice President and Co-Founder                     *