From:
Bill Gruber <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 29 May 1993 00:30:30 -0400
For people who wanna know about the mystery virus, here's my opinion:

Some people on GEnie are still reporting the virus, though it seems that
it has run its course at some shelters and once ferrets have had it and
survived, it does not appear to reinfect.  I don't know if the incidence
has slowed down because the shows have slowed down, some ferrets became
immune, some have died, or the virus is dying out, or all of the above.

At least one person on America OnLine reported similar symptoms recently,
but it is inconclusive in my opinion.

Now, I THINK this is right - it is second-hand info:
The Animal Medical Center in New York City has recently gotten in two
ferrets (unrelated cases) with weird symptoms.  In one case, there was
vomitting and some rectal bleeding, so it probably was NOT the mystery
virus.  That ferret didn't make it.  Don't know if post-mortem was done.

In the second case the ferret was sent home with instructions for massive
supportive therapy and the ferret survived.

So, I guess the answer to "is the mystery virus still with us?" is a
resounding... who knows.

Bill