From:
Pamela Mcinnis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 09:46:00 -0400
Hello everyone,

Although I've subscribed to the list for months, I guess I am what is
called a lurker.  But I read faithfully and have learned so much from all
of you.

Last spring, my 5-year-old boy Weaz began to suffer the classic signs of
balding and lethargy.  We quickly confirmed what we were pretty sure of
(adrenal gland disease) with our vet and scheduled surgery with our
wonderful vet, Dr. Charlie Weiss in Bethesda, MD.  During surgery we
learned that both of Weaz's adrenal glands were affected, and that he also
had insulinoma.  He came home with many less tumors and body parts than he
went in with, the poor guy!  The first two weeks were rough.  This was only
the second surgery I had been through with my gang, and the fact that Weaz
had to have so much done overwhelmed me.  But it didn't seem to get to him
at all.  By the fourth day after surgery, my biggest concern was that he
was TOO rambunctious and I was afraid he'd tear his stitches.

We traveled some rough roads in the month or so that followed, but now,
almost six months after his surgery, Weaz is more active and friskier than
many five-year old ferrets I know.  He goes to the vet for a check-up and
hormone/steroid shot once every 4-5 weeks, but other than that his life is
totally normal.  You'd never guess he was a senior weasel who had survived
a very complicated and extensive surgery.  I feel I owe this to Dr. Weiss
and to much of the wonderful information I got from this listserv on
helping ferrets recuperate from surgery.  Thanks to all of you.

I've got five ferrets in all (and one, my Joey-Boy, who went to the Rainbow
Bridge last October), and Weaz's sister Callie is beginning to go bald in
the tail.  She's coming along with Weaz next Saturday to meet Dr. Weiss.
With five fuzzbutts of my own, I've always regretted that I don't have the
financial resources to help the shelters in my area more.  I've read much
about the trouble many shelters are in over the last few days, and it
touches my heart.  I'm in the early stages of planning a ferret-related web
site/newsletter/ezine, and will use it to the best of my ability to promote
support of shelters and make people aware of all that they do.  The least
I can do is donate my time, and my abilities as I have them, to trying to
help get the word out!

Thanks for being here!
Pam McInnis