From:
Kathy Colgin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 18:16:11 EDT
Hi all!
I have a small question.  My 1 of my 2 ferrets started scratching rapidly
yesterday, so I picked him up and found one flea on his head.  I looked
both over high and low and found nothing else, not even flea droppings.
I inspected their cage and bedding and found nothing either.  I washed
everything immediately last night to make sure.

We have 5 dogs and 2 cats in our house that are on FrontLine for keeping
away the fleas and ticks.  We have been religious about keeping the
animals away from the 2 ferrets.  I let the ferrets out all night in my
den and they love my cargo couch.  I keep a comforter on the couch (which
I also washed).I keep the ferrets in a cage in a room separate from the
other animals during the day, but the other animals are free to roam in
the same den during the day as the ferrets get at night.  The only way I
can imagine my little Scooter getting a flea is from that couch.  Both
ferrets have no spots from scratching and after inspecting them today I
cannot find anything that would suspect another flea is anywhere in site.

The question I have is:
Is there anything I can put on the ferrets that are safe and reliable so
to keep fleas off of them just in case.  I got so scared when the one did
the scratching number.  I mean they are itchy fellows, but that one was
obvious.  This may be a rare one time thing, but I want to be a good
mommy and help prevent.

Thanks so much!
Kathy