Date:
Sun, 5 Sep 2004 14:13:55 GMT
>In a message Charleen said.
>>I have been using Lupron with ferrets here that are adrenal and so
>>far all of them have grown back their fur and no long have any of the
>>adrenal symptoms.

>Sandy Repper <[log in to unmask]> replies:
>Sure wish it had worked for Honey.  Poor Miss Honey is totally naked,
>after 3 shots of Lupron.  The last was 2 mg, and they usually measure
>it in mcg.  Just want everyone to see another side.  I think Miss Honey
>agrees with me.

I am sorry your girl didn't do well.  From what I have read on the FHL
from Dr. Murray.  That when lupron fails it is usually because it is
adrenal carcinoma, a less frequent cause of adrenal gland disease, but
a more aggressive form.

Good reminder that success is not seen in all ferrets.

There is no sure fire treatment for adrenal gland disease.  Surgery is
still the best shot at getting it all and preventing an adrenal carcinoma
from getting aggressive and invasive.  But for those not surgical
candidates, potentially as a preventative ( albeit expensive) and as a
chance for treatment and control in adrenal hyperplasia, and adrenal
adenomas - Lupron seems like a good option when it does work.

I think it is more expensive than just doing the surgery out right, but
some other potential uses are giving it after surgery, to prevent the
other gland from becoming affected in the future, and for giving a good
quality of life to a ferret who can't have surgery, or who had surgery
but all the right gland couldn't be all removed.

Melatonin implants are also something cheaper, and hopefully more
promising in prevention of this disease ( time will tell), as well as
an adjunct in treating it.

Patty