From:
Gwen Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2006 10:21:02 -0700
Hi, Everyone:

We've experienced the same problem having allowed our kids to play (and
poop!) on our unsealed hardwood floors.  When we bought our home 10 years
ago, the previous owners had installed lovely parquet flooring, but never
bothered to have it sealed.  (What gives with that???).  Although we
quickly clean up after any accidents with gentle soap & a little water,
the stains have remained.  We've attempted to use various furniture
polishes after a light sanding, but the polish only lasts a couple of
weeks.  It has been an ugly mess.

We're now getting bids to have the flooring sanded and resurfaced.  After
the flooring is refinished, the kids have a big surprise coming to them
-- no more playing in the family room!  Ha!  Ha!  Instead, they'll be
relegated to the large kitchen, complete with ceramic tile for easy clean
ups.  Ha!  Ha!  Ha!!!!!!!!  (Evil laughter!)

BTW, several years ago, we had our living room flooring refinished and
an oil base was used because it lasts the longest and provides the best
seal.  A couple of times our kids have escaped to that room and have
pottied, but it was easy clean up with no staining or seeping through the
wood.  A water-based seal is low odor, but doesn't last nearly as long
and doesn't provide adequate protection.

Clete and Gwen Wood, and
Barnabas, Plinga Plinga, Dit-Dot, Minky and Tupac