From:
Ann Gruden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2006 22:38:57 -0400
This is an upcoming event coordinating with a couple of other small
animal rescues in Connecticut.

Sorry I haven't had a chance to dive into the discussion on ferret
shelter issues.  Having been "around" as a shelter over 15 years now, I
do have some thoughts on the subject (and those who know me personally
know I usually manage to have lots to say on a lot of topices! LOL)  But
personal time constraints right now just don't give me the chance to jump
in with my 2 cents worth.

But as a member of the ferret community, I urge ferret shelters to
reach out to other species shelters in their geographical regions.  The
problems we face are very much the same even if the needs of the species
we care for differ.  Burnout, lack of funding, lack of volunteers etc.
While an online network is invaluable, having a local network of
similarly situated folk who may be caring for bunnies, or gerbils, or
hamsters or gp's - snakes, lizards or birds can be useful.  Most are
either privately operated and may/may not be federal non-profits.  But
they do share the same local laws and regulations.

Some of these groups may be in different stages in the evolution of their
shelter/s.  You can learn and you can teach.  It's a super opportunity to
revitalize and SHARE RESOURCES and energy!

But I digress... -- Ann Gruden - President, Ferret Assn of CT
           ---------------------------
Permission to cross post the following:

Small Animal Rescue Open House Announced

In a first-ever event of its kind in this state, several small/exotic
animal rescues are coming together to do an open house/education
exhibit to raise awareness about the neglect, abandonment, and abuse
of small animals.  The event will include guinea pigs, hedgehogs,
ferrets, and rabbits (and potentially others).  Organized by The
Critter Connection, other confirmed participants include
F.A.C.T. <http://www.ferret-fact.org/> (ferrets) and
the Hedgehog Welfare Society <http://www.hedgehogwelfare.org/>.
Other rescues are expected to be confirmed before the event date.

The event is scheduled for *Saturday, September 23 from noon to 3 p.m.
at the Newington Petco*.  We hope you'll come out to visit us and meet
these hard-working rescues.

If you know anyone who is contemplating adopting a pet from one of the
represented species, please encourage them to come talk to the rescues
and get some advice and guidance!

/The Critter Connection, Inc./
<http://www.ctguineapigrescue.org/>