From:
Ronnie DiComo and Possum Prints <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Dec 1995 18:22:45 EST
Not exactly ferrets, but...Whoever was looking for stories on animals
saving people's lives, please e-mail me with your address if you want a
copy: The front page of today's Boston Herald had a poignant account of
a dog waking up 10 people (including 6 children) as a fire raced through
their house. The dog went from bed to bed, waking the children by nuzzling
them and pulling their hair. One man died as he went back in to make sure
everyone was out, also trying to rescue another dog and several cats.
(The Globe picked up an uninspired AP version of the story which briefly
mentioned a smoke alarm and "barking dogs.")

Squeaky toy noises...  Though Cinderella, Ralph & Harry were kept separate
from their cousins Nellie and Sophie for most of the weekend, a few
introduction attempts were made.  At one point, Cinderella was thoroughly
licking a SND (sleeping not dead) Nellie.  Another time, Ralph was trying to
introduce himself to a reluctant Sophie, who backed herself under a cabinet.
Although Ralph is easily twice Sophie's size, he is quite mellow and
*really* wasn't even touching her.  However, Sophie let out a loud shriek
that sounded exactly like a squeaky toy.  She did this a few times; my
interpretation was, "Back off, you big slug!" So this is some type of
distress call, which may explain why some ferrets go berserk when they hear
certain squeaky toys.

Petsitting
Anna and Kelleen--I think that's great that you're ferret-sitting.  Anna, I
think your plan for taking care of and returning the ferrets is a good
one--I hope this person is genuinely ignorant, not just neglectful, and
will want to take better care of his ferrets.  It would be great if he
brought them back to you another time and they looked better.

I use petsitters a lot, having lots of animals.  I'm really lucky to have
wonderful fml-reading, fuzzy-owning friends nearby who have babysat my
fuzzbeans.  But for the cats and dog, I have used the services of several
people.  I think it's great if they give me a form to fill out asking for
info, because at least I feel they want to know about my animals, their
vet, etc.  etc.  I also leave detailed notes, emergency #'s, etc.  I really
appreciate *any* feedback I get from petsitters, though it's rare!  (I
think having the ferrets in your home is more conducive to interacting with
the owners because you see them when they come back.) Anyway, good luck to
both of you, I am sure you are fantastic petsitters!

To Mike: Congratulations on adopting Ricky and Lucy! I hadn't thought of
it, but I agree with Anna--if possible, three is a good number--because
when the sad event happens and one eventually dies, at least the other
still has company. Just a thought.

To Gilligan--you sound a bit like Norman, whose creativity and ingenuity I
really miss.  However, have your mom and dad considered a vet exam re: the
marking/spraying?  Just to make sure it's not a physical problem.  Good
luck, and tell your mom not to toss that computer out the window-- how would
she read the fml?  :-)

--Ronnie
Cinderella (yes, I am very good at cleaning other ferrets)
Ralph (I'm going in to work tomorrow, oh boy!)
Harry (how come I can't chase the cats?)