From:
Christina Joy Michael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jun 1998 22:11:34 -0700
OK have I got a horror story about a breeder that I had the unpleasent
pleasure of driving a distance only to be so horrified at what I saw that I
am still in shock and need someone to tell me what to do cuz at this moment
I am both so MAD and yet not sure what can be done or who to call.

My friend recently lost her 3 yr suddenly and upon talked to her further
convienced her to get another one so that both her and her other male would
not be alone and to help them get on with the healing process.

Anyway, we drove all the way out to Seagoville from Dallas, Texas a could
hour drive only to see the following:

8 rabbit cages outside in 104 degree Texas heat with only a large fan that
was not blowing anything but hot air around.  There were droppings all over
the ground and there where 6 ferrets three hobs in cages alone with nothing
but the wire cage and an old rage that looked like it hadn't been cleaned in
years matted with hair.  There were two white ferrets that were yellow and a
sable that also had yellow fur.  There were two cages were the jill's where
with their litter.  They were in the same type of cage.  She pulled out a 6
week old kit that was covered with its own urine and pooped.  She made the
comment that they would be easy litter trained since they poop and pee in
the box they are sleeping in.  She then pulled out a white kit with urine
all over it's belly she just wiped it off on the old dirty matted rag.  She
then took their water bowl and poured it into the box where the other kits
were and then she took a gallon milk jug filled with water and poured the
water right thru the cage (all of these ca ges where all rusted and no
telling how long that water had been there or if it was even fresh).

I just know one thing that these ferrets can not be happy ferrets they are
kept like rabbit's and breed like rabbit's with no play time or attention
from their owner.

Is there anybody I can call like the human society and can they do anything
to help or do I need to contact one of the local shelter's in the
Dallas/Fort Worth area (if any of these shelter's are listening please
contact me with adivise).

I want to end this as soon as possible but at the same time I don't want to
cause a scene because my friend bought the first one that was handed to her
(he was the runt of the bunch).

She was selling them for $50 and advertising in the local Dallas/Fort Worth
paper.

Any help or suggestion will be taken most seriously and I will put worth
action on them as well.

Thank you a very concerned ferret owner and someone who doen't like this
kind of treatment of other animals.

Joy Michael