From:
"Benita G. Booker" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Dec 2001 13:18:39 EST
Hello,

Someone wrote on to the fml concerning a situation at a petstore.  I
e-mailed this person asking for some information and some possible ways
of getting something done.  I was wondering if there had been any changes
or has this person resolved some of the issues themselves.  If you ask
for assistance, please follow through and e-mail back the concerned
individuals so they are not left wondering what happened.

I am always concerned about petstore negligence.  I use to work in a
petstore where situations similar to this would occur when I was not
there.  I did not work for approx 7 days one time but when I went to work.
Approx 15 animals were in bad and dying statuses.  I had not been getting
the employees to make changes for some time concerning the animals.  What
they would do is decrease my days of work.  I was confronted that day so
that evening I had my assist manager jumped by someone.  Then I quit.
Since then I have been able to get higher management fired.  These people
had been with the company 3 years and in one day fired.  I contacted the
proper authorities and had them do a thorough inspection.  I told them
everything to look for and what paperwork to check.  Contacted the highest
person in the Corporate office by sending faxes of the store condition all
over the building.  Every department I could think of.  I got a call from
a very high Corporate Manager that day.  There was sufficient evidence to
support my accusations.  I still have a chance of going back to work after
the changes have fully taken place with the employees via corporate.
Since then heads have been rolling left and right.  Positive changes have
occured concerning the animals.  For one year I could not get them to stop
using cedar shavings.  Would you believe that now they are using yesterday
news.  I do periodic checks now.  They get very nervous when I show up.
Voilence is not the answer.  Am I sorry for what happened to the person
NO.  I am sorry for the animals I let down by not checking up on them when
I was not scheduled to work.  Knowing the numbskulls do not care about
animals.

If you want to do something for the animals in the petstores.  Don't just
rescue them.  Follow through and get changes.  Contact the department or
people who deal with issues concerning abused animals.  Your rescuing
animals all the time does not change the conditions of the store.  These
people you get mad at or tell them whats on your mind concerning the way
the animals are in the store.  They hear that all the time.  They look
at you and say okay as though they are concerned.  They could care less.
They are SALES people.  Because if they cared you would not be in there
rescuing an animal.  Yes, you buy the pet and give it the love, attention,
the pet prospers, and you feel very good about yourself.  But, what
happens to next ones that come in.  They just order more animals to be
subjected to the same neglect time after time.  You go in or someone else
goes in and sees the same thing and cycle begins.  You purchase again.
Next thing is.  The end of month comes around.  The store tally's up the
animals sold and the animals still in the store for the month.  Guess
what.  Their goal of animals sold is MADE.  They have achieved what they
needed to do for the month without making so much of and effort to make
changes concerning the animals health and welfare.  Store Goals
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

This is something I have experienced first hand.  I have 18 pets.  9
ferrets taken in from different situations.  Some people may not agree
with me.  I refuse to pay to rescue an animal.  If I went to a petstore
and I saw abuse or neglect.  If I felt there was an immediate cause of
action.  I would call the police, animal control, the store manager
and whoever to meet me at the store right then.  Something would be
documented.  Pictures would be taken.  I hear of people rescuing animals
all the time.  My problem is when the numbers continue to grow.  I am at
my limit.  Luckily ferrets sleep alot.  This way I can cater to the other
animals.  Can you give each individual animal the love and attention it
needs?  Yes, we can provide food and water.  That is easy.  I have 12
ferrets in total.  The first 3 were bought because I wanted three.  But,
then people with their many reasons and excuses would come to me and I
would take their responsiblities.  I am not sorry I did that.  I love my
ferrets to death.  My guys are very special to me.  Everyday, every animal
in my home gets held and talked to.  But, what happens if I die or I am
unable to care for myself or my ferrets.  Who will run to their aide?  I
worry about this.  What will happen to them?  Who will give so many the
love and attention they use too?  When we rescue for whatever reason we
need to think about our actions also.

I am so frustrated with the irresponsibility of ones actions concerning
animals.  Petstores and people.  I wish there was someway changes could
be made with fast positive results.  My heart aches when I think of
ferrets that are in shelters.  Those people who dedicated themselves
wholeheartedly 24-7-365.  They do everything they can to help and assist.
Thank you for that.

Thank you for letting me rant.  Hopefully, slowly changes can create
positive solutions down the road.

Benita Booker