From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 10:08:20 -0400
As our scene opens, we are in the lower driveway of the Sargent-Colburn
residence in central Massachusetts.  It is night, and luciously dark, as
only an August night in New England can be.  Trees to the left of us,
trees to the right of us, but there are several acres of long grass and
weeds and pieces of curious, delapidated heavy machinery straight ahead.
We follow the driveway as it becomes a little path leading straight ahead
into that open space.  And there on the ground, beside the darkned bulk
of the 1949 John Deere tractor (looks just like a wooly rhinocerous with
two big wheels in the dark) is a merry little campfire surrounded by a
ring of pebbles on the ground.  An overturned metal thermous lid full of
Bob Church's Chicken Gravy (TM) rests atop the ring of pebbles, and
bubbles gently, giving off clouds of chicken-gut scented steam.

Two ferrets lie on the ground on their backs on an oversized, thick
cotton pot holder.  They are watching shooting stars.  Whenever a
particularly good one flashes by Switch says "Oooh!" Lily says "Heee!"

Switch rolls over onto her hip and addresses her computer audience.

"Hoomins, hoomins, hoomins." (shaking her head wearily.)  "We see you,
we know how you are."  (Lily utters a mournful "Heeeeeee" in the
background.)

"You're thinking about having another flame war."  (Switch flops back
down onto her back beside Lily.)

A particularly big streak of light flashes across the sky.  Switch says
"Oooo!"  Lily says "Heee!"

Switch rolls back up onto her hip again, and sighs deeply.

"We've posted anonymously this time because we know how crazy these
things make you people.  Your fur gets ruffled..  Your tails brush up
and you poof and poof and poof.  Hoomin poof is ...."  ( A sonorous
"Heeeeeee-heee" comes from Lily in the background.)

"Exactly", says Switch.

Switch lies down again next to Lily and says "  We respectfully suggest
that you go out tonight and watch the meteor shower.  It will remind you
what is important, and what isn't.  What is big, and what is really too
small to be bothered with." Lily points with one paw at a fast little
yellow fireball and says "Hee-he-he Heee-He."

Switch translates "And yes, get better Mochie."

[SR]