From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 19:10:39 -0500
>Have a 5 year 5 month female spayed ferret diagnosis with insulinoma,
>possibly at a very early stage.
>
>As this time to weak to have surgery.  How long do they usually live after
>surgery?

It varies - some ferrets have been cured, some have recurrence of signs
ranging from 6 months to a year after surgery, some will always require
medical treatment due to the insulinoma being widespread before surgery.

>The vet put her on .5ml of Pred and .5ml of Carafate two times a day, plus
>force feeding her at least 6.0ml of AD three times a day to get her
>strength back.

That is a very *low* amount of food, in my opinion.  If she is eating
nothing else, I usually recommend 30 ml three or four times a day.  If she
is eating some other foods, I still would do at least 20 to 30 ml twice a
day.

Dr. Ruth
Save lives - spay or neuter your pet.