From:
Rachel Zuckerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 12:44:34 -0500
This past Saturday I was taking Illura for a walk in the gorgeous weather.
Coming up to the main campus green, I heard music and saw mobs of people,
wondered what was going on, then remembered that the school was the site
for a huge Earth Day festival.  Illura was a little thrown by all the
people on her walking route-- I kept to the outskirts so she wouldn't get
stepped on-- but it was a blast!  So many people came up to me wanting to
know what she was, and I found myself doing little impromptu ferret-info
talks.  "No, she doesn't bite." "Yes, you can pet her, she's very
friendly!" " No, she's not a rodent, they're actually related to weasels"
and so on.  Illura was really hamming it up, wanting to meet everybody and
see and smell everything.  There was a little mini-parade that we were
asked to walk in and i think we made the local news!  The afternoon was
topped off by a cuddle and nap in the shade, it was a really fun time!

Another comment on shaking ferrets-- I've noticed and wondered about the
same thing with Illura, she shakes when I take her outside.  I don't think
it's fear, she loves running around outside, could it just be excitement?

One more thing and then I'll shut up, this was just too cute to not
mention.  I just got Illura a new hammock and put the old one in the
storage bucket next to her cage.  One day when she was out playing in the
room, I looked in the cage and noticed the old hammock in the bottom of
her cage with her snuggly towels.  Asked my boyfriend if he had put it in
there, he said no.  We came to the conclusion that she couldn't bear to
part with her old bed and took it back.  Now she spreads it out and sleeps
on top of it!

Sorry so long,
Rachel and Illura