From:
Caterina Venturelli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 13:52:37 -0500
I would like to give my opinion to Renee Ts mail.  Is not my style to
discuss this kind of things but her mail had really got to me, probably
because today I am a bit touchy, I just came back from the vet for my
ferret regular visit, distemper shot, blood work and a hormone panel
(that is what I asked but actually they are just going to test estrogen
and testosterone levels that I think that is not going to give a valuable
information for diagnosing possible adrenal, which at the moment thank
God does not show any sign), that cost me $400 for a visit that lasted
less than 30 minutes and still I am worried about Gigio Ts health because
of a rice grain size hard lump in the back of his neck that the vet still
does not know what it is and that we have to keep observing.  And
definitely this is what keeps me tense more than the money I spent today
for sure.  So when I read that people complains to be RchainedS to the
house and is RhappyS to be free AT LAST!  And uses words like RsacrificeS
and just refers to ferret as RcuteS that makes me think that what she
really has lived is a selfish love.  Those relations when one wants to be
the winner all the time, when cleaning and taking care is considered a
high price to pay instead of a responsibility commitment.  About material
things, I understand is not nice to have them destroyed but in the end is
just an inanimated, thing.  I donUt think anybody is willing to be buried
sat on his adorable and favorite sofa, is just a material stuff, and
ferrets as all the animals are no aware of the cost of things and the
effort we have to make to buy them.  I will remember for ever the deep
pain when I lost my first ferret, and that I would have given away
everything that I possessed to have him back.  For me they are not just
RcuteS faces, they are little amazing creatures that loves in such an
unconditional way that no price in the world is high enough to repay them
for such a wonderful felling.  I agree although that looking for a new
home for a pet that is not wanted anymore is far better than either make
him suffer for negligence or abandon the poor creature in the middle of
nowhere, but of course that behavior does not deserve an applause.
Because is true that we make mistakes, lots of them all the time but that
is also true that look for an easy way to get out of a problem that we
put ourself into is not going to make nobody to improve.  That is the
kind of thinking that makes many young married couples to break apart, at
the minimal sign of discomfort, there you see them, asking for divorce.
Why should one thing that, that behavior is selective to ferrets?  For
instance, having cats instead of ferrets does not prove that you are a
non-selfish cat lover, that just means that in a particular condition and
live style cats are less RannoyingS than a ferret, but is that true
love?.  I totally agree with Benita that a person that is giving away a
pet shoud think twice before getting another, and reflect better on what
to expect from an animal, just a cute decoration at the lowest possible
cost or a friend with all its pros and cons.  Above all this I want to
recognize the wonderful work of many people in this list in favor of the
ferrets, either owning a shelter or adopting ferrets from shelters, and
those who have ferrets and despite the fact they sometimes break things
still love them above all the material things.  People like Rebecca M.,
Lynn S., Lisette and many, many moreI that I truly admire and respect.
Best regards,

Cathie.