From:
Kim Burkard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 16:21:12 EST
<Alphachi's response to my request to have people carefully consider things
before adding to this thread>

>Yes, Kimberly, many of us, some *more* than others, but I'm sure BIG can
>attest to new members coming onboard regularly.  So, just like the one
>thousandth litter question, this too will come up again and again.  In
>order to protect our sanity, *and* especially BIG's, these cycles must be
>limited from time to time.  ...

Yes, there are regularly new posters.  And so my statements and request were
not out of line.  I was merely letting them and others know that this
discussion is far from anything new or shocking to the FML.  They must also
know that it is also a discussion that usually goes nowhere positive.  In
other words, all the venting seen here is just that, a bunch of air.  No
ferret has even been helped by a bunch of air.  (ok...maybe air conditioning
on a 90 degree day can count!  ;)

I am also highly concerned that very few individuals that ever post to these
threads know anything for a fact about MF or the practices they follow.
Heresay, rumors, second-hand information, and plain old misinformation
abound in these threads.  To TRULY make a difference, people can not win
their position with shoddy information or emotion.  People that try this
can discredit more people then just themselves - they can discredit others
working for the very same cause.

Look at what has worked in regards to the ferret legalization efforts that
have taken place over the past few years - Massachusetts, Michigan, and even
California.  What works?  Facts.  Not emotions.  Not outrage.  Not
half-truths or second-hand information.  In the end, only truth and facts
salted with calm reason and hard work have prevailed.  Much the same can be
said about the Rabies Compendium and bite quarrantine regulations as well.
Truth is a powerful ally and an unforgiving enemy.

So, I ask again for people to truly consider what they are saying, what
their source of information is and so on carefully before adding to this
thread.

>For the ferrets, always for the ferrets.  Kimberly, just because the
>thousands of ferrets within Marshall's confines have no names, do we offer
>any less assistance time and time again than for the single pet that does?

To say that I or anyone here doesn't care about a ferret simply because they
have no name or is not our pet is a bit unfair.  We ALL care about ferrets
else we would not be reading and posting to the same mailing list.  And
please know that I wouldn't take issue with this discussion at all if I
truly thought that it would assist ferrets.

Since I doubt I can add anything more of value to this topic then what I
have said in this and my previous post, I will not belabor my point further
with additional posts on this subject.

-kim, squirt (mom, I don't feel so good), pippi (atlas' chew toy),
 atlas (me bite someone? nahhhh!), and 'jinx (the fur-shadow)

Kimberly Burkard     |             _    Everything I needed to know in life,
Eastman Kodak Company|      _____C .._. I learned from my ferret:
Rochester, New York  | ____/     \___/  Frolic and dance for joy often, have
[log in to unmask]    |<____/\_---\_\    no fear or worries, and enjoy life.