From:
Heidi Greer Gong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 13:10:02 -0700
Hello everyone -

I am a new ferret mom, having a 7 mo. old girl named Tera.  She was
purchased from a pet store and is a Marshall ferret.  She has had all her
vaccinations and has gotten a clean bill of health from my vet (who
specializes in ferrets).  My husband and I have been constantly delighted
and amazed ever since she entered our lives.  My question is, how much
sleep is typical for a ferret?  Her normal pattern is to wake up around 5
AM, play for about 2 hours, then go back to bed for about 12 hours.  I
wake her up and play with her for about another 1-2 hours in the evening.
She doesn't tire easily once she is up, but she usually won't wake up on
her own accord and play without my prompting.  She seems perfectly content
to just snooze the day away in my underwear drawer.

I do actively try to play and rough-house with her once she's up.  We play
chase, go after various balls and toys, dance around after towels, and,
of course, endlessly carry kibble up and down the stairs to her favorite
hidey-holes.  I don't get the impression that she is fatigued, but she
sure doesn't seem to be awake very much.  When she wants to sleep, she'll
voluntarily go into her cage or the dresser and snuggle down.

Is 18-22 hours a normal sleep time for a young ferret?  I worry that maybe
I am not providing enough stimulation.

Thank you!