Date:
Thu, 18 Jun 2009 20:44:44 -0400
Indiana Jones was a very energetic Albino DMK that was returned to us
late last year when his foster family lost their main income and later
their home to foreclosure. Indy is normally an active playful ferret
who succumbed to a infection about two months ago (origin unknown)
which was resolved with antibiotics. Over the weekend, he began to
show signs of illness as he did not want to play and slept unless he
was eating and drinking or using the litter box.

Tuesday morning I was concerned about him and syringe fed him about
70 cc's of A/D water mixture. He was very hungry and I noticed that
his left lower molars were inflamed and thought, fine, we will see
the vet and take care of the teeth issue.

Wednesday morning he was completely stiff and would not move - refused
to open his mouth for food and then I saw drainage from both eyes, a
tremendous volume of saliva oozing from his mouth (with a very slight
amount of blood), and then his nose dripped blood - bright red and
enough for me to panic. He was rushed to the vet and he is being
treated again with antibiotics and his doctor told me late this
afternoon, he was up eating, drinking, and using the litter box. But
other than that, no activity and he appears depressed.

Temperature is slightly elevated, nothing of real note in the blood
panel. He had a blood panel done when he was initially treated a couple
months ago and again, nothing. We are concerned he had a seizure of
some sort - blood sugar is correct and does not indicate insulinoma
or diabetes.

During this round, Indy never really lost any body mass and continued
to use his box and eat/drink somewhat normally since he did not lose
weight. Although he was very hungry on Tuesday night.

Since he is a DMK boy, we really can only guess his age - at least 4.
More likely, 5. Since he was rescued in October of 2007 and received
his initial examination and vaccinations and neutering in January of
2008, nothing to report. He did receive his boosters in January of
2009.

If I have neglected any detail or clinical signs, please email me and
I will provide whatever detail I have omitted from this posting.

His doctor is thinking....perhaps.....tetanus!??! Anyone seen this
in a ferret. I have seen tetanus in cats but not ferrets. Amy other
thoughts.....I really fear it may be cancer.......

Maren Doshier
Founder/President
Raisins From Heaven Ferret Rescue
Hernando, MS