From:
John Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Nov 1998 23:24:32 -0600
Hello FMLer's
For those who have followed the Ferret Math in the Gordon house this year,
Baby Girl has recuperated from her surgery.  However she and Hillary can't
get along longer than 10 seconds before serious fighting starts.  Bill has
developed a liking for Baby Girl, which seemed OK by me since Hillary has
been very friendly with Leroy.  Unfortunately for Bill, Hillary has decided
he shouldn't see Baby Girl anymore.  When he is out with Baby Girl, Hillary
watches from her cage shelf and makes her displeasure known by dumping the
litter pan, etc.  At first Bill didn't mind but apparently Hillary has laid
down the law.  Now when I put Hillary and Leroy in the cage and let Baby
Girl out with Bill, he stays at the cage door acting as if he wants in.
Baby Girl couldn't understand why the one ferret she could get along with
wasn't interested in playing.  Bill was trying to keep peace in the big
house.  I'm not making this up.

But the problem was resolved Friday.  A little chocolate 10 - 12 week old
MF boy was found in the back yard of a friend our vet's wife.  It seems she
is the neighborhood "dump your unwanted pet at her house because she will
take it in" type person.  I was asked to adopt him.  He was skinny, scared
and had the smell of old car oil on his neck but after a "human" bath and
nail trims he joined Baby Girl.

So now "Hershey" has joined Baby Girl.  Her first job was to bathe him and
get the terrible human smell off of him.  She has been teaching him to use
the litter box (with some success already) and how to play without being
too rough.  She plays hide and seek in the dryer vent tubes and keeps him
entertained.  She really is acting as if this were her own baby.  Her
babies were all taken away from her before, but this time she will have him
until God intervenes.

And she still gives me the bestest kisses you could ever want!

Leroy still knows the best way to get attention is to chomp onto an ankle
or calf.  He doesn't like to be scruffed and told NO!  in a loud voice and
most of the time he stops when I tell him no.  Most of the time.  Well
sometimes.  OK he bites.  But only to show me that even though I'm bigger
he's not afraid of me.  He's a good boy, full of energy and loved by his
new daddy.  His coming to live here has slimmed down Bill because they are
always tussleing.  That is when he's not dragging Hillary off somewhere.
Which she seems to enjoy.

Also, as the proud "daddy" of Slinky, Lucky, Jack and Jill who live at my
girlfriend Dee's, I have to encourage EVERYONE to get Issue # 19 of Modern
Ferret.  Go to the "Pink Noses" section and look in the upper left hand
corner to see what Dee says are the best ferrets in the world.  I don't
have the guts to argue with her, so I took the picture for her.

Thanks Mary and Eric for printing it.  Also you have my condolences for I
too am going to miss Ralph's tests.

While you are reading Modern Ferret # 19 read pages 56 - 57 in their
entirety!

Thanks BIG for providing this forum for us to share these thoughts.

John Gordon in Pekin, IL with Bill, Hillary, Leroy, Baby Girl and Hershey;
but still missing Weasel, J.R., Garrett, Striper and Cleo (the best Kitty
there ever was)