From:
"Carol L. Lyon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 1996 22:31:02 -0500
And a story . . .

I became a ferret owner (first time) about 7 months ago, quite unexpectedly.
A good friend's neighbor had a litter of 7 week old kits and asked us if we
wanted to come see them.  Knowing the horrible reputation these evil little
creatures have, I was somewhat distant to them . . . . at first . . .  but
after leaving couldn't quit thinking about one of the little males I had
handled - so sweet.  I brushed it off for a few days - convinced my 3 cats
would disown me if I brought one of these things home.  A few days later,
went back to see "him" again - and totally fell for him.  Even so, wanted to
think more about it as I didn't know ANYTHING about ferrets, except that
they're mean and they bite.  AFter a few more days of agonizing over this,
decided to bring the little guy home - kindof on a trial basis.  Needless to
say, the rest is history -can't figure out now how I ever made it thru 42
years of life without one of these guys.  My cats adjusted very quickly -
they seemed glad that at least he wasn't another cat .  .  .  and I was
absolutely sure I didn't need ANOTHER one.  Admittedly, I was somewhat
overwhelmed with "Slinky" at first - so active, so busy, just sooooooo
everything - alot of work at first, but we all hung in there and soon
settled down to life with Slinky (was there ever really a life without
him?) - who by the way has NEVER bitten me, my cats or anyone else.  I
can't believe how misunderstood these little guys are by the general
public, and that I used to be one of these individuals.

About a month ago, I decided to get another ferret - these guys are just the
coolest.  I was willing to pay the going price for one, starting looking
around and reading the BBSs and was shocked to find out how many neglected
and abused ferrets there are out there in shelters.  As luck would have it,
the home where Slinky came from has turned into kind of a ferret rescue -
they foster several shelter ferrets at a time until homes can be found for
them.  When I went over to see them, I was even more convinced that this was
the way to go .  .  .  and adopted a 2.5 year old little male that barely
weighed a pound when rescued in early October - he was so weak at first he
could barely eat, and almost didn't make it.  Lucky for all of us, he had
lived in a loving home for a long time, before being given away to another
family, due to a job transfer, and is just a little lover.  I donated the
money I was planning to spend on another ferret, to the shelter, scooped the
little guy up and brought him home.  He, Digger, and Slinky were friends in
no time - and the Slink is so happy to have a friend like himself to play
and sleep with.  One was a riot - the 2 together are just hysterical!

I still get a bit choked up when I look at Digger now and think about what he
must have gone thru - but he's up to 2.8 lbs now and still gaining - and am
so glad we all found each other.  Slink, at 4.2 lbs., has alot of respect for
the older guy and somehow seems to know he's had a rough time of it.  An
added bonus . . . Slinky used to have some real litter box problems - but
almost never misses since Digger came to live with us !

My hope is that anyone who is thinking about getting a ferret, or adding one
to their family, and hasn't considered a shelter ferret, to PLEASE check it
out.  You may find just what you're looking for - I sure did.
Unfortunately, they are very easy to find.

Carol, The Slink and Digger Too