From:
Barbara Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 1995 12:44:51 -0400
I have become the proud owner of a real-life *rescued* ferret!  :) Through
a line of people about 3 or 4 thick, came word of a ferret being kept
outside in a small cage without food or water.  The landlord apparently fed
and watered it enough to keep it alive.  The place was rented by two
Strippers.  He told them he was going to take the ferret, and they moved it
inside.  They said they were going to find a home for it.  He told them
they had to find a home over the weekend, otherwise he would come on Monday
to take it.

Well, Monday came and the landlord walked in on one of the strippers and
FOUR guys!  O_O My goodness!  He took the ferret and gave it to my friend's
husband, who brought it to her, who brought it to me.  :)

It was a young male (exact age uncertain), albino, smelly and filthy.  He
was in a small cat carrier and I suspect he smelled bad because he had to
practically sleep in his own poop.  His nails were very very long (and
almost as sharp as cat claws), and he bit me on the arm the first time I
took him out (lick lick lick chomp).  I didn't hold it against him, and he
hasn't bitten again since.

I was amazed.  He likes Linatone and I was able to clip his nails without
trauma.  Then I got brave and gave him a bath.  Amazingly enough, the little
guy just calmly stood there!  He reacted less violently than any of mine
ever have!  He apparently was not abused, as he wasn't afraid of people or
hands.  During the day (in my office at work) I gave him a treat of a lick
of cream cheese (leftover from my morning bagel), and he quickly associated
hands with good stuff ...  now he seems to lick fingers just in case
something good is on them.  :)

He cleaned up into a very presentable-looking young fuzzball.  His face
looks odd to me, though ...  it's very short, his nose seems to turn up a
tad at the end, his ears seem to lie back more than my other fuzzies, and
the tips of his upper fangs stick out when his mouth is closed.  He looks
like a little white vampire!  I'm taking him to my vet as soon as I can for
a checkup, but he seems miraculously healthy.  I didn't even find any fleas
on him!  I suspect he had been taken care of okay until he grew up and
wasn't the tiny little baby fuzzball anymore.

I was also amazed that he had NO problems with my other 2 ferrets (Pepper
leaped on him with just as much zeal as he leaps onto Katie, the dog, your
feet, the hanging mousie toy and the cat's tail) and the new guy didn't bat
an eyelash.  He just wandered around the room dooking like the others!  He
didn't freak at the cats OR the dog (and she's a pretty big dog), and hasn't
bitten anyone since that first time.  He seemed to eat about every 30
minutes yesterday, but he has slowed down some.  He doesn't seem to care
what he eats as long as there is a steady supply.  :)

He's a bit thin and boney but his fur is full and thick, no thin spots.  His
eyes are very light -- almost more pink than red, and he's very white ...
no cream color at all.  I don't know at this point if he has any problems
with hearing, but his eyesight seems fine.  He tends to lie in the cage and
*watch* you.  Kinda disconcerting at first.

It will be fun to see how he looks in a week with food and water.  I haven't
come up with a name yet ...  I need something I can call him with.  We
thought of Salt (to match Pepper) but that's just too hard to yell.  We
thought of Chance (since he got a second chance) but that has the same
problem.  Any suggestions?

--Barb--