Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2007 19:21:16 -0700
We decided to let Frejya go during her exploratory surgery. She was
about 4 years old, and we noticed a lump in her abdomen on Monday.

After having Angel pass last Monday from lymphoma, I was being paranoid
and feeling everyone even more thoroughly than I usually do. Well, I
found the lump. It grew overnight even larger, and she was just wanting
to lay down all the time for Tuesday. So Tuesday she was drove to the
vet in the morning, with her sister Fisher in tow as well sharing the
carrier. The appointment was a double - Fisher has adrenal surgery next
Wednesday.

The regular vet wasnt' on duty so the one who doesn't do ferret
surgeries was there, and she offered to do the explore but she told me
up front it was so massive it probably wasn't a good idea to try to
take it out because of the blood supply. So I left, knew I was going
to leave Fisher overnight, but Frejya, I was prepared. She would bite
me all the time, she was my beautiful but kinda mean little girl, and
she chomped me good a few times during the appointment (I let her, of
course) and she actually gave me a REAL ferret kiss. She never did
before. I stuck my tongue out a little bit and she licked it, just a
tiny bit, and that was it. I knew, she wasn't feeling good. She was
already dehydrated and low on energy. There was also lymph fluid free
in the abdominal cavity and other tumors all around. It just sucked
because everything else was perfect in her - no adrenal, liver, kidney
or pancreas problems.

The surgery went through and they called me at my work with the news.
The tumor was HUGE and sapping her blood supply, and her survival rate
after surgery was practically 0 so I said they could just put her down
without waking her up. Well, that was after I asked how Frejya was as
she was put down in the little aquarium - if she struggled or not.
They said she was actually really cute, laid down and then sniffed the
little intake tube where the gas came in, and then laid down again.

I had her cremated and brought her home today, along with her sister
(alive) Fisher. Fisher has never been to the vet before for so long
and she was so scared! I had no choice due to work. I guess it's like
a "practice run" for next week, if anything.

I am so shell shocked. I was so sad last week, and now another of the
same - lymphoma.

Frejya hated other ferrets with a passion, besides her own brothers
and sisters (not real, cagemates). She is missed sorely by two of them
currently - Lucy and Okojyo. They welcomed Fisher back quickly and
searched for Frejya. I didn't have the option of bringing her body
back, next time I will - and I'll just have to bring back the body
to the vet I guess, a day later. It's just the vet is so far away.

Sorry for another long post. Frejya, I love you and I miss you, even
if you were a bitey girl. I love you so much.