From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 10:36:39 -0500
I've been reading the posts from and to Matan and like many I am concerned.

If I was going to breed, these would be my requirements -

I would search the internet for information on ferret care and breeding

I would talk to ferret breeders for more information including possible
medical complications and what would need to be done

Breeding ferrets would be kept in a clean and healthy environment with
the proper nutritional diet and regular vet checks

Breeding ferrets would be part of my family and raised with loving care

Before I let them breed, I would make sure I had homes lined up and that
these homes had read a pre-made packet of ferret information that I'd give
them and that they would treat the ferrets as part of the family and agree
to feed them the proper food and care for them properly and I would check
on them after they went to their new homes

I would make sure my breeders were healthy and happy and I would not breed
more often than once every 2 years and I would have a dud stud to take the
female out of season the other times.  If, at any time, breeding was
causing health issues with the breeders, they would be spayed/neutered.

I'm female so I wouldn't want to shove 6 watermelons out of me twice a
year.  This concept may be beyond a young mans thinking but try to imagine
having your insides blow up like a balloon till you can't stretch anymore,
and then some, you can barely walk and even eating is difficult and all
your insides are pushed around and shoved aside, then having the horrendous
pain with contractions as if they are ripping you apart when it's time
for birth.  Sound like fun to you?  Not me.  Birthing is painful no matter
what animal you are and there are serious, sometimes deadly consequences.

Humans have the choice of having children and sex (in most cases), the
animals in our care don't.  Contrary to popular belief, sex isnt' always
done for enjoyment in humans either.

Hugs to all. tle
Troy Lynn Eckart
Ferret Family Services