From:
Kim VanderLaan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 15:46:49 EST
KiSta Ferret Rescue <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>After reading the post from the ferret yesterday who got stuck in a glue
>trap, I wanted to let everyone know how dangerous they really can be, not
>to mention a very cruel way to rid your house of mice... The DCon type of
>mouse bait poisons are very dangerous as well...
>We've never had a mouse problem ( I often wonder if Paws, our houseferret
>is the reason for this ) in this house, but we did back in DC, and had
>great success using the Have-A-Hart style catch & release traps.

I agree, glue traps are terribly cruel to the mice as well as any other
potential (accidental) victim.  All the poisons are dangerous to pets and
so can be the old-fashioned kind of traps.  We never had a mouse problem
until this year (I think it's going to be a BAD winter).  We do have a
kitten who keeps finding the mice.  She's only gotten to kill one.  I got
the others first (they went outside to the barn).

This morning, I was cleaning out ferret bootie from under the couch which
is Dexter's favorite place to stash his treasures (aka my daughter's toys).
There was a fairly fresh mouse minus head there.  I had thought Dexter had
gone under the couch to sleep last night.  I guess not.  He apparently
found a mouse and dealt with the intruder.  I know the cat didn't get that
one since only the ferrets fit under the couch and there's NO WAY she would
voluntarily give up a mouse!

Kim and The Terrific Trio