From:
Tim Kesterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Dec 1994 03:12:52 -0500
I'm sorry if this topic has been recently covered, but I am new to the FML
and haven't seen this brought up in the few days that I've been a member.

I would like to solicit any and all recommendations and/or opinions regarding
what foods (types/brands) should or should not be given to ferrets.  I have
two ferrets, Rocky (male, 7 mos) and Nikki (female, 3 mos).  I originally had
them on a mix of Pet City Ferret Food and Nutro's Natural Choice Kitten Food.
 Unfortunately, the little weasles all but totally refuse to eat the ferret
food.  They much prefer the kitten food.  My questions are:

1. What are you opinions regarding these brands of foods?

2. Since they basically refuse the ferret food, is it recommended that I only
give them the kitten food (which they seem to like fairly well)?

3. What are your recommendations for ferret food and/or treats?  I have
spoken to many people, but most don't seem to agree.  I have heard a lot
about Iam's, Totally Ferret (have never seen this locally here in Denver) and
Science Diet.  If you recommend a certain brand, please give the exact name
as there appears to be many different varieties within a particular brand.
 As far as treats go...What is definately not recommended for ferrets?  What
is particularly good for them as a treat?

4. How much Ferretone (Linatone) should be given to our little ones?
 Currently, they receive about one pump (approx 1/2 oz or less) from the
bottle approximately every other day.  I have been told everything from "a
few pumps a day" to the extreme of "don't give it to them, period.".  I'd
like more opinions on this, and would also like to know what the dangers are
of giving too much ferretone.

I think that's about it.  Thanks in advance for any information that any of
you can give me.  It will be appreciated.

Tim Kesterson