From:
Todd & Angela Preimesberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 1996 02:11:29 -0500
One of our fuzzits, Duncan, uses the litterbox only on occasion.  He usually
goes beside it or anywhere he wants.  He doesn't even check the litterbox to
see if it is dirty.  In the cage, he uses it always though.  Here's what
we've been doing -

One of his favorite spots was directly opposite of the litterbox.  We
gradually moved the spot over to the litterbox by using towels (though he
occasionally used them too when he had to go BAD), after a couple of weeks
he kinda of got the idea of us wanting him to use the litterbox.  We kept a
bottle of linatone near it so WHEN he was using it we would give him some.
But the main factor is that we couldn't make him use the box, he DECIDED to
use it.  Every time we tossed him in there, he just got mad at us for
interupting him and ran off.  In their room there is a part that is full of
excellent potty places, I added more litterboxes and draped the entire
section except the litterboxes with sheets, towels, and lots of great bags
to play in.  He's been getting the idea.  We've also made some corners
totally unsuitable to him by spraying bitter apple on a paper towel or two
along with adding some towels (works great for behind doors).

Here's another thing we do - right after he comes out of a hidey hole after
a nap, we try to steer him to a room that he does use the litterbox really
consistenly in (for us it's the bathroom).  For Duncan, we have gotten him
in the habit of a nice fresh drink of water out of the tub after a nap.  But
only if he decides he wants one.  Needless to say, we always "find"
something to do in the bathroom when he wakes up.  Of course, he can tag
along.  : )

Hope this helps.  Look for tiny clues and you probably will find your own
method.  BTW, how long have you had your ferret?  If less than 6 months, you
might consider that he/she isn't fully adjusted yet.

Angela