From:
"edman (Ed Atlee)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 1996 14:53:15 EDT
Did the meeting planned for Sunday night come off?  What was decided, if
anything?  I e-mailed Mrs.  Duck last week for info, but didn't get a
response; guess one or the other got lost in the ether.

I'm going to be off probably all next week, albeit on crutches (arthroscopic
surgery, left knee), but I'm hoping that after Monday I won't be too doped
up on pain meds to do something useful with my time.

So, I'm wondering who we need to write, call, or whatever, and what the
focus of the effort is going to be.  Has someone been chosen as overall
coordinator?  There's the question of legal action for the damage already
done, then there's the question of getting a law/policy in place that
guarantees that a quarantine policy will be standard procedure.  For the
latter at least, do we go through the state legislature and get a law on the
books that state agencies (and judges) would have to follow, or is a policy
change at State Health or Fish & Wildlife enough?  I'd feel better with a
law, and if that's what we need, then we need to get someone to introduce
it, someone sympathetic to our cause and someone who can get bipartisan
support (if possible).  Then we need to write in support of the bill, at
least each of us to our local reps/state senators.  Has anyone yet produced
a list of state legislators by area, with addresses, etc?  Any ideas for who
to introduce the bill?  Can the governor do it?

I don't want to re-invent the wheel, so I'd like to know what everyone else
is doing, who's coordinating, and what the focus is.  Maybe we should get a
mailing list or telephone network going for the duration of the effort?

Ed Atlee