From:
Christine Code <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 1995 06:47:56 -0800
George and her tribe <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>It's so funny to hear people saying "gee, my ferret doesn't come when I
>call".  Two of my guys, Gushi and Buster, know their names and *usually*
>come when I call.

Calling ferrets was an excercise in futility last week, so I started going
at it a different way.  I have a special whistle that I use when I want them
to come.  And when they DO come they get a nummy treat, like a wee bit of
mushroom or bell pepper.  You should see them now!  I'll start to whistle,
and two ferrets will drop anything to zoom over to me!  It's really cute.

I'm amazed at the things they get into.  The other day I locked them out of
the bedroom and proceeded to play with them and just generally hang out in
the kitchen.  Maddy vanished.  After spending almost AN HOUR looking for her
in every place I could imagine, guess what?  I finally went into the
bedroom, and the little monster was there.  She'd squeezed underneath the
bedroom door!  *sigh*  Now, granted, that door is a little high off the
ground as doors go, but still: we are talking about a skinny space here!

Yesterday I caught her at it and it's a hoot to watch.  She lies on her back
with her arms overhead and reaches back.  Arms go under the door, hook on,
and pull the rest of her through.  Ooof!  It's a bit of a squeeze, and funny
when she gets to the tummy part.  :) I'm reminded of Winnie the Pooh who ate
too much hunny and got stuck half way in and half way out of Rabbit's house.
A few too many treats and we could have a stuck Madeline, too!  Gonna have
to fix that door.

As if that isn't enough, she's also learned to teleport to the top of the
desk.  This mystified me for a bit, because there isn't room for the
wall-climbing trick that somebody described here, and there's nothing nearby
to help her up... yet there she was. You know what she's doing?  CLIMBING
THE DRAWER HANDLES.  She thinks they make a great ladder.

Amazing what they get into/under/on top of.

Christine

--
Christine Code                     We shall find peace.
Vancouver, CANADA                  We shall hear the angels,